COMPASS 101 CLASS (BVC Membership Class)
This one-time class provides all the information you need to make an informed decision about becoming a member of Bear Valley Church. It's your opportunity to explore Bear Valley's unique mission, ministry vision, leadership model and more. Completion of COMPASS 101 doesn't obligate you to become a member, but if you are interested in membership this class is a prerequisite. Please join us if you are considering membership at BVC or simply want to learn more. Click here for a 2015 Compass 101 schedule.
At Bear Valley Church we believe in the need for formal membership in the local church body. Commitment to church membership is important for several reasons
- The Biblical Reason: Christ committed to the church. "Christ loved the church, and gave his life for it" (Ephesians 5:25).
- The Cultural Reason: It is an antidote to our society. We live in an age of selfishness and consumerism. We struggle with our commitments in marriage, jobs, friendships, and more. Commitment builds character and therefore becoming a committed member of a local church highlights the loyalty Jesus desires His followers display in every aspect of life.
- The Practical Reason: It defines who can be counted on. Every team has a roster of players. Every school registers its enrolment. Every army enlists its soldiers. Every family has a family tree. When times get tough, who can be counted on? Those who can be counted on are committed to the cause of Christ through Bear Valley Church.
- A Personal Reason: It produces spiritual growth. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17).
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO BECOME A MEMBER OF BEAR VALLEY CHURCH?
There are two requirements for joining Bear Valley Church:
- Testimony of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Believer's baptism by immersion.
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS OF MEMBERS AT BEAR VALLEY CHURCH?
As a member of Bear Valley Church you are part of the spiritual family of believers. As family you agree to the following:
- I will protect the unity of the church by acting in love towards others; by refusing to gossip and by following the leaders.
- I will share the responsibility of my church by praying for its growth, by inviting seekers to attend and by genuinely caring for those who attend.
- I will serve the ministry of the church by discovering my gifts and talents, by seeking to be equipped and by developing a servant's heart.
- I will support the testimony of my church by attending faithfully, by living a Godly life and by giving regularly.
BEAR VALLEY CHURCH'S FAMILY COVENANT
- Worship attendance - I will make Bear Valley Church my church home. I will participate in Sunday worship services as often as I can.
- Belong to a Group - I will seek opportunities to grow in my relationship with God and others by participating in a Sunday or mid-week group. I need to know and be known by other growing Christians.
- Ministry - I will serve others on a regular basis where needed and gifted.
- Missions - I will seek to reach my neighbors, across the street and across the ocean, for Jesus.
- Giving - I will give financially in a God-honoring way. Generosity is a great way to fight selfishness.